Tasty Burger

Thursday, November 09, 2006

überburger

I put my body on the line on a regular basis for this blog. I would be a vegetarian if I wasn't blogging burgers, and I know what you are thinking: just blog vege burgers. Yes, I thought of that and may yet go that way and almost did this time but didn't. I don't want to bring you down with my life issues but lately my reviews seem to be a solo effort which of course is never quite as much fun but.. (Neal voice) "oh sorry, I'm bringing you down aren't I".

überburger in Time Square, Singapore is next door to the Very popular and always full Paulaner brewery. Just this once I walked past the waiting crowd and directly into a booth at this designer joint. I was hoping to blend in but a bit hard when you are some eccentric grey-haired Aussie poking a camera into every corner of the place. Apart from some quasi-industrial architecture they did have Champions League going on several large LCD screens which saves me the embarrasment of reading my placemat all night and a great comeback from Chelsea against Barca in the end.

I asked for the Wagyu burger (S$32) but that wasn't available so did I want the ($101) Wagyu steak? No, I'll go for the S$29 "übmonster colossal 250g chopped sirloin with emmenthaler cheese, hickory sauce, bacon, crispy salad + vine-riped tomato obscene buck of fries" thanks. No problem.

Whilst waiting I observe the burger flipping Indian lads in their ventilated fishtank, the conveyer delivery system from the fishtank to front counter, the Warhol-styled art and hanging industrial chain.

My 1 litre of happy hour Hoegaarden arrives then the fries in an actual steel bucket. Feeling better by this point.

Next is my übmonster which I will rate as tasty, beef nice enough, nice presentation. No problem at all. By this stage very full and I decline the "sweet burger mini donut with chocolate ice cream, fresh mango, strawberries & kiwi in the form of a burger". Noting that the Chelsea v Barca game is finished and I am now watching the PLC Levski Sofia goalie give away a shocking own-goal to Werder Bremen I pay the bill and go.

What am I trying to say? I think this was a good burger and trying very hard (perhaps a bit too hard) to create a unique experience in a competitive market. That said I would go back next time with friends and enjoy the happy hour. Next time I'll try the vege burger.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • Heavens to Betsy, that was a huge blog from the Zombie master! Captures the essence of Singapore as well as helping many a gweilo find peace and refreshment.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:40 am  

  • what fine burger discovering spirit Zombie has shown. let this be a lesson to us all!

    plus i agree that lampard's goal against barcelona was a corker!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:43 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home