Tasty Burger

Monday, February 05, 2007

Brush with fame

Ok, so I know that Barney Allen's has been blogged before and I know that between the group of us we've consumed a fair few Tolarno burgers, but last Thursday was special. Burger rookie Dave and I head there for a pre-reggae TB and while we are eating we spy none other than Huey himself, sitting at the bar and pondering life (new burger recipes?) over a glass of red.

I figure it would be fun to get something signed and let him know how tasty we find his burgers, the exchange goes thusly:

ME: Hey Huey, sorry to bother you

HUEY: No worries, what's up

ME: Just wanted to let you know that a group of us run something like a burger club and we've got Tolarno as the grail of all burgers. Was wondering if you'd mind signing something for us?

HUEY: [sounding peeved] Well if you like it so much why don't you get *them* to sign it for you…

{uh oh, what's gone wrong here?}

ME: [confused] It's just that I thought you designed the burger?

HUEY: What are you talking about?

ME: the *tolarno* burger?

HUEY: *Oh* no worries then [whips the coaster from my hand and is already reaching for a pen] I thought you meant Ciccinoto (sp?) burger, the guys down the road

{I'm not sure who ciccinoto is, or if that is even the right name, but seems Huey is a bit jumpy}

ME: [while he is signing] No way! I don't know who that is, but I wouldn't compliment someone else's burger then ask you to sign something [awkward laugh from me]

HUEY: You'd be surprised, last Friday a young bloke came to see me about a job as a chef and I asked him why he wanted to be a chef and he said, "To be like Jamie Oliver", Geez, I told him next time someone asks you that, you say "To be like Iain Hewitson"!

ME: Word Huey, you owned that mofo [or maybe I just scurried off, I don't remember]

So that is how we came to have my beer coaster signed by the tastiest tasty burger creator himself. I was too flustered from almost pissing him off to think of anything clever for him to write on it.

1 Comments:

  • Pete and I had more or less the same experience in opening week. We didn't get anything signed tho' so touche on that!

    By Blogger surfnoosa, at 2:30 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home